August 3, 2009

Birth Story



Went in to the hospital around 7:30pm on the 30th.
They took awhile to get things going so I didn't get my first dose of the Cytotec until 9:30 pm. There were all the check in papers, etc. But once that went in I was monitored for 1 hour, so we watched Hot Shots. We went to bed. Around 1 am they came in to monitor the babe for 30 minutes and then gave me the second dose. At this point I wasn't dilated at all so I wasn't very hopeful. They again monitored her for 1 hour and then off sleep again with us.

At 5:30 my day time nurse came in and offered me a small breakfast of toast and decaf coffee. They started the pitocin around 6:30 am. It was at this time we learned that I was 3cm dilated and my water sack was bulging through. While waiting for the onset of labor and my doc we went for a walk around the floor a few times. When my doc came around 8ish she broke my water. This is when things REALLY kicked in then. The pain does get worse when they break the water, I was told this is due to the prostogladins in the amniotic fluid that is now washing over your cervix. I also had to stay in bed for a little while, while the fluid drained some...so it didn't allow me to move which hurts MORE! I learned that being able to move is a HUGE help. We soon moved to a stool that was on wheels. So I rolled it back and forth through each contraction. Trying really hard to focus on staying super relaxed, my cervix opening, and breathing in slow steady breathes. It was hard but it apparently worked since I went from 3cm at 6:30 am to fully dilated at 10:30 am.

At some point I asked for the bath tub to be filled, which I never got in since things moved far to quickly.

I did get some drug aid :\ At some point I felt really sick, which always turns me into a baby, then on top of it since the baby was having a little trouble we were stuck in bed again, so it hurt even more, etc. I even got sick a little at one point too, which should have been my cue THEN to how fast the labor was going. But in tears I asked for a little something to ease the edge of the pain. I don't remember exactly what they gave me. It was an IV drug and it didn't ease the pain like I had hoped BUT it did allow me to relax a little better in between contractions, which helped me get through each contraction. I was a little fuzzy headed feeling, but I was before they even gave me the drug so I don't think it had really anything do with it. Oh and as for the transition part I did mention that to a nurse at some point too...it was like a bulb went off and I was like...so this is that transition feels like?

Then the I feeling like I had to poop started, which was NOTHING like Kaitlin's birth! Holy cow did I ever feel constipated! I didn't even think of telling the nurses about it until they asked if I felt it after doing another exam where they found me to be 9 cm. I honestly thought I just needed to fart or something, lol. At this point they did page the doc.

The poop feeling just kept getting stronger. And I did "push" a little when I felt it. It's hard not to! When your contraction peaks it pushes on your anyways and it feels like you just really have a hard stool you want to get out. I think I even asked the nurse at some point if they were sure my problem wasn't I just really needed to poop, lol. (I blame the drugs for that one! ). They must have thought I was so funny with all my stupid comments, hehehe.

So at one point the nurse had me push some and then immediately told me to stop! They then frantically started looking for the doc. I told them to tell her to run The feeling to push was a little overwhelming I have to say. I remember Jason talking to me during each contraction which helped. I have no idea what he said, but it helped. Since they had my on my side and kept telling me not to push while they were trying to get anyone who could deliver the baby there. At what I would like to think was the last moment the doc walked in, thankfully



As soon as the doc was there and dressed they told me I could push...which I did on command I didn't wait for the peak of the contraction either. As soon as I felt it coming I pushed, and I have to say it feels good to push during a contraction when you get that point. Not that it takes the pain away, but feels different and not as painful (or so it seemed to me). Emilie was born seconds later I think it was 2-3 pushes, and one contraction Jason said it was like he was watching it with a strobe light going, you saw her head, then shoulders, and then all of her in abrupt steps with no pause. She came out screaming I cried as soon as I saw her So did my doc It was a great moment They put her on my tummy and I just feel in love

It seemed to take awhile to deliver the placenta. Which they let me see It was pretty cool looking. I'm always full of odd requests, lol so my doc wasn't even surprised I asked They even showed me the cord and it's three vessels.

With all of that, I ended up with one stitch. The doc even tried to stop the bleeding to see if I wouldn't need one, but I did. It hasn't really even hurt so no big deal I guess :)

We tried to breastfeed within the first hour, but when she was really getting the hang of it, it was time to go to the nursery. We then patiently had to wait for them to transfer me over to the maternity floor, etc. I think it took a few hours. But everything was a blur.

If I remember more details I will let you know, but I wanted to get everything down while it was still only fuzzy and not a distant memory

3 comments:

Lib said...

awwwww, look at her! she's soooo BEAUTIFUL! I want one!

Nicole's Journey said...

Tiff, Emilie is just so adorable! You & Jason look like proud parents, and I love that your Doctor cried with you (she's a keeper!)... Although you may be tired, enjoy every single moment as they grow so fast.

knit one, knit two said...

tiffanie, i got tears reading your story. it was most precious. emilie is so beautiful. best wishes for all!