May 4, 2009

3 Hour Blood Test


So I went for my 3 hour GD test today, they don't tell you it's FOUR hours :\ Your not allowed to eat anything. I went in around 8:50. They had trouble working the sugar testing machine. So the test got started a little later than what I would have wanted it to. My fasting blood sugar was 101. Which according to the inet is 1 point higher than a normal fasting level BUT not in the range of diabetes. I also had taken my inhaler the night before which I was told could raise blood sugar levels, so who knows.

They then had me drink the orange stuff....bleh. Which they gave me 5 minutes to do it in, I did it in 40 sec. The guy was impressed, lol. Said I should get a prize :) I just wanted to get the stupid test done!

Then they take a vial for a baseline. Then I had to go back at 10:15, 11:15, and 12:15 for more vials. In the mean time I got to eat NOTHING! Jason came to sit with me at the hospital. Which was nice. I know we didn't really talk the whole time, etc. But just having another person there helps to pass the time.

By 12:30 we were on our way out of the hospital, except they took FOREVER to get my car back to me...then I was behind an old lady. I felt like I was going to pass out on the way to lunch. Jason and I went out to Friendly's and I got more and more shaky. I went from hot to cold. It was awful! But I feel better now! I made cookies :) lol. I figure I should get them baked now before I get a call saying I can't eat them, lol. But I passed my test with Kaitlin and I had a million issues with her so I'm hoping for the same results with this one :)

All the jabbing they did reminded me of the image above, an old garbage pail sticker card. My poor arm is a little sore :\ The guy who took my first draw was there for my third and last one. He told the gal doing my second one to use a small needle since they were drawing all of it from my same arm. Then he used small needles both times too. It could be worse! I think it was when I was in the hospital and they did it. I've been through worse blood draws, lol.

But i'm glad that is done!




Oh I had to include this picture when I found it!! It reminds me of winters in the north country!!

No comments: