February 25, 2009

Information Found, I think

So neither of us can remember what the doc called the spot in the brain. But from the research I did there is only one term for it Choroid Plexus Cysts.

Which look something like this:
See the spot in the lower half of the brain?

Okay so what is says is that if this is the only "marker" than the baby is more than likely fine, but if they find other markers, like kidney or heart problems, overlapping fingers, abnormal feet, or a strawberry shaped head then the babe could have Edwards Syndrome. Which I'm not even going to comment on...since it would mean a very low chance of survival even in utero, I'm going to think about that until I have a reason to.

Okay so this is assuming I have the right term, but I can't find a different one anywhere to explain the cyst, or spot or anything. This is the only one that pops up. The site does go on to say that most hospitals don't even report it without other evidence of issues because it usually means nothing. The baby will grow out of it more than likely before they are even born, most of them disappear before they even get to 24 weeks gestation.

However this is the kicker for the evening...1% - 2% of babies are known to have this issue. I am SO TIRED of hitting these tiny itty bitty percentages...

Grumble.

No comments: